Educational Therapy in Wichita, KS
Since your child goes to school, it may not be clear to you why you’d need to work with an educational therapist, too. After all, schools are supposed to teach kids academics. And kids often have special education services to help them in school.
The answer is that the instruction at school may not be enough for your child. There also may be a lack of understanding of your child’s issues. Or the school may not be helping your child with a specific skill, like studying or writing papers.
Educational therapists teach skills and strategies that help kids manage their issues and improve their schoolwork. They can help kids with almost any learning or thinking difference.
Here are just a few examples of what therapists may do:
- Help identify behavior issues that may be caused by underlying learning and thinking differences
- Teach strategies to improve focus and work habits
- Teach time management and organization skills
- Develop an educational plan by giving assessments, tracking progress and adjusting as needed
- Provide a safe environment for your child to talk about school and learn how to self-advocate
- Act as a link between home and school
An educational therapist can also act as a case manager. The therapist can help coordinate with tutors, specialists and teachers. Educational therapists can also review services the school is providing through an IEP or a 504 plan. They can help ensure that what’s happening outside of school complements in-school services.
Here at ACFC we have a team of experienced therapists who are committed to their patients every step of the way. We will help match you to the therapist on our staff best suited to meet your needs. We accept most major insurance providers. Check our Insurance page to see if your provider is accepted.
If you would like to seek educational therapy with an ACFC counselor – simply fill out our contact form below, chat with us during business hours or call us at 316-945-5200 to get the process started. We look forward to meeting with you.